Sunday, March 29, 2009

Days Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six – How Do You Get An Evil Twin To Shut Up?

    Saturday’s Schedule:
  • Beach Boot Camp (2 hrs)
  • Group Circuit Training (11 machines and cardio between each one) (1 ½ hrs)
    Sunday’s Workout (2 hrs):
  • 10-minutes cardio
  • Upper Body Machines: 50 Chest Flies, 50 Lateral Pulldowns, 50 shoulder presses, 50 bicep curls, 50 tricep pushdowns
  • 2-minutes cardio
  • Upper body with free weights: 50 chest press, 50 back rows, 50 side raises, 50 hammer curls, 50 overhead tricep extensions
  • 2-minutes cardio
  • Lower Body Machines: 50 Leg presses, 50 leg extensions, 50 Leg curls, 50 inner thigh, 50 outer thigh
  • 2-minutes cardio
  • Lower body with free weights: 50 regular squats; 50 Duck squats; 50 lateral leg raises; 50 front leg raises; 50 back leg raises
  • 2-minutes cardio
  • Abdominal exercises on mat: 50 regular crunches; 50 butterfly crunches; 50 Russian twists; 50 reverse crunches; 50 “reach for the stars” crunches
  • 10 final minutes of cardio

Saturday was a gorgeous, blue-skied, comfortable day. My Evil Twin, Desdemona (thanks to my sister Kitti for coming up with that one; Donna means “lady” and Desdemona means “wretchedness”) decided that she was going to try to ruin it while at the beach today. As usual we had our Saturday Boot Camp at the beach. We welcomed a new trainer, Jason, and sadly it was Amber’s last Saturday with us for awhile as she’s off to Asia for an exciting opportunity in the fitness world. Amber will be sorely missed, but I would take off for two months for this opportunity if I was in her position, too. We started our boot camp a little later than usual so it was warmer than usual (yaaaaaay! You know I prefer warmer temperatures). Marco was there as well. After a short warmup trek through the sand, we all went around the Bird Cage. I’m trying to beat my time of 15:12 but can’t seem to make my legs move fast enough. This made me think about just how heavy each of my legs is. Have you seen my thighs? They’re huge! And honey, those aren’t calves, those are steers! Anyway, made it around the Bird Cage in about the same time and joined the group for various drills in the sand. As we were doing them, Desdemona was needling me as much as she could, AGAIN questioning the value of these exercises in the sand that just drained the life out of me and making me hate the sand and making me not want to do anything else. And I used to love the sand…at least, Bermuda sand. It’s way prettier and I never exercised in it before – actually, that’s not true…my first or second summer in Bermuda I went to Warwick Long Bay a few weekends in a row and walked the length of that beach a couple of times. That was a good workout. And then I started going out on Friday nights and was too tired to do that walk anymore. That was another thing about which Desdemona would not keep quiet; these sand workouts exhaust me and thus I have nothing left for the next workout – in this case, Amber’s group circuit, which I really like doing. I don’t know what it will take to erase those thoughts out of my mind. Eric talked about my internal dialogue yesterday and how it will either motivate or deflate me. WHY am I letting it (i.e., Desdemona) deflate me, especially after I’ve been doing so well?

I had a somewhat restful afternoon, took a nap, did laundry, nothing too exciting. The Sex & The City movie was on HBO. I had seen it already when it debuted in the theatre at that fantastic event that Paul Sofianos put on at Liberty Theatre in Bermuda, but watched it anyway. I had forgotten about the New Year’s Eve scene…have you seen it? The scene is so sad to me, and it makes me cry. If you have any single friends, make sure they’re (girls or boys) not alone on New Year’s Eve, OK? Thankfully I have always had something to do on NYE, but I know what that lonely feeling is that Miranda was having. I think the movie put me in kind of a sad mood and thus I didn’t get a good night’s sleep.

Sunday was another lovely day and we had our “50-Reps” workout which I quite like. I burned over 600 calories this time. I’m frustrated that I can’t find a happy medium between aerobic and anaerobic states and thus not burn fat without burning muscle. I just want my legs to get lighter so that I can move them faster. How do you do that quickly? I’m needing some instant gratification here!

For the rest of Sunday I’ll rest, do some housework, stretch, and speak to Sue and John in Bermuda. Maybe that will help lift my spirits today. I don’t like feeling like this. It’s counterproductive to my workouts…makes me more tired than I need to be! Any ideas on how to make Desdemona go away?

I hope your weekend is finishing nicely. I was glad to see some of you getting some kind of workout in this week. Good on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment