Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day Fifteen – The Incredible Shrinking Woman

    Today’s Schedule:
  • Group Bike Ride (1 ¾ hrs, 15 miles!)
  • Group Circuit (1 hr)
  • 1-on-1 Training Session (1 hr)
  • 1-hr Cardio
Hello everyone! I can’t believe I have been here just over 2 weeks now. More than that, I’m surprised by how much I’ve accomplished and even MORE surprised by how much I’m loving it. I knew that it was going to be hard work and I expected that I’d be getting up every morning dreading whatever the scheduled workouts were, but it hasn’t been like that at all. I know the workouts will be tough and that I will be tired and sore afterwards, but I really look forward to each workout, and I wonder what new physical feat I will achieve each day.

Today we went a mile further on the northbound (i.e., the prettier, Venice & Santa Monica direction) bike ride. I was absolutely exhausted at the end of it; Marco pushed me to go faster than usual and I did the best that I could, stopping when necessary. It still hurts like hell to sit on the padded bike seat with the padded shorts (I’m sitting on ice packs now…SERIOUSLY!) but for each bike ride, I have succeeded in going a little further than the previous bike ride. Do you remember the 70s TV show “Sanford & Son” (alright, none of you smartass under 30y/olds better say anything) and the way Fred Sanford walked? That’s how I walk after the bike rides. Hah…my Granny would have cracked up; she loved that show. And it’s not very comfortable sitting on ice packs, let me tell you…

After the bike ride I was weighed and measured. I’m still not happy with the POUNDS lost, but I am THRILLED with the inches…another 7 inches! In 14 days I have lost a total of 18 ½ inches. I CAN see some of it, too…it’s noticeable in my face, and when I wear my tshirts, they’re not quite as tight around my hips and stomach. I’m thinking that this means I’ll have less of a problem with sagging skin when all the weight is gone? I hope so! The results are visible, too, in the new bumps in my arms (i.e., my biceps, in case you missed the Day 14 update), when I lift more weight or go further on the bike or in the pool. It’s real, tangible results. I love that!

After seeing another 7 inches gone (which all the trainers are saying is “INSANE”) I was READY for Amber’s group circuit workout. As before, this involved each of us starting at a weight machine and rotating between the machines and cardio every two minutes, with the cardio bits at increasing levels of difficulty. I did assisted chin-ups on this chin/dip assist contraption for the first time. Damn that was hard! And I did chest flies with 50lbs – I’m not going to complain about this at all because this type of muscle workout will keep the “girls” perky for a long time ;-) And holy mackerel, my thighs were ON FIRE when I was doing leg lifts. I don’t remember what the weight was…I was trying to figure out a way to put out the fire (are you hearing me, Carmichael?) and get through those TWO minutes of hell! Thankfully that was the last station for me….and even more thankfully it was only a one hour circuit instead of two like the last time with Amber. We did a few abdominal exercises on the mat after that circuit; I suck at the bicycles and “reach for the stars” but I was very pleased to do planks on my knees on all three sides (face down and on left and right sides) – I was not able to do that over a week ago! A plank is when you rest on your forearms and keep your entire body parallel a few inches above the mat using your toes, or in my case, my knees, and then hold it for a period of time (like, an ETERNITY!).

Y’know, I am loving working on the machines. That was one thing that I was excited about starting the camp, was lifting weights. I don’t know why I like it, but I do, and even though I am DYING when I’m doing the lifting, afterwards I think, “damn, that was a lot of weight for me” and “when will I be ready for more.” That’s my new mental mantra now…not, “are we finished yet” but “what’s next?!”

I had two hours to kill before my 1-on-1 session with Amber, so I went home for a shower and lunch. What lovely treat was waiting for me but two boxes of Harry & David’s Pears from Amy! Yum!!! Amy, thanks soooo much. I did share them and everyone loved them. On our meal plans, we usually have one fruit a day, so I’ll just substitute the tangerine for a pear.

I returned to the gym refreshed and ready for Amber. We worked arms again with some heavier (for me) weights. I did those chin-ups again. I don’t even know how to explain it, but basically you climb a couple of steps, kneel on a pad that is counterbalanced with weights equal to your own weight, and then you pull yourself up so that your chin is higher than your hands – OH, AND you’re doing this slightly leaning forward so you’re pulling yourself up from BEHIND your back. KILL ME NOW! This combined with two other back exercises and cardio went on for three rounds, but first let me tell you about this so-called “counter-stretch” that I had to hold for one minute before returning to the cardio bit. I really think Amber was doing this for a good laugh (just kidding!). I had to stand facing the wall and “assume the position” that someone who is about to get arrested or searched by the police would assume (you know, facing the wall, hands on the wall, legs spread apart), then push my hips back as far as possible while dropping my head and chest down, leaving my hands flat and up on the wall, higher than my head. So there’s my big arse sticking out….Marco frisked me, Sean nearly spanked me, and I’m pretty sure I cast a shadow on the whole gym from my butt blocking the sun from the window above. I had to do it three times and I am telling you, it was not easy. I would have traded twenty more back rows for that “stretch.” I think I would have even pulled on the rope machine for 10 minutes instead of the five minutes that I did in exchange for three one-minute stretches. Amber… do those stretches and holds EVER get easy?

The one-hour sessions with a trainer always end quicker than I expected. I’m dying, sweating, cursing, praying, and then suddenly I hear, “And you’re done.” What a relief! But also, what a great sense of accomplishment. This session was followed by 60 minutes of cardio on my own. Sean, 19 y/o from New Mexico, was on the treadmill next to me and we chatted about his future plans and business ideas, and before I knew it I had completed the hour. Sean helped to distract me another time this week when I was working on posture exercises, some of which are difficult to hold. That time while he was on the bike I was standing with my heels and back against the wall in the assigned position, and while I was feeling the fire rising from my heels up through my neck, Sean kept talking and held me there for a minute (I’m supposed to hold it for two minutes – eventually!). Thanks, Sean!

After cardio I was happy to have another massage! Yaaaay! What can I say about massages? I could get two a day every day and never tire of them. Nina, the massage therapist, said that one or two of the campers don’t really like getting massages. What? Are they crazy? I will take their sessions, too!

We all finished a bit earlier than usual for a Wednesday as the owner and trainers had a special meeting in the gym so all the campers needed to be gone so that it could be cleaned. But this just means that we get a full day on Friday instead of the usual shortened day. Back home for my yummy dinners (yes, that was plural). First up was chicken with grilled onions and pineapples, brown rice curry, and stir fry vegetables. Coming up as soon as I finish today’s update is carved LEG OF LAMB with honey roasted root vegetables and wild rice. Can you believe I’ve actually lost 18 inches on this meal plan?

BUSY day tomorrow…beach walk, abs/core, interval training, BOXING (yaay, I get to break in my new gloves), my interview with the reporter, 1-on-2 training, meeting with the counselor, and the Cardio Movie of the Week. Must be sure to get to bed on time and get plenty of sleep. As much as I love David Letterman and Craig Ferguson, I’ve missed them the entire time that I’ve been here so far (MUST SET UP TIVO!). SLEEP is a priority. I have learned how valuable it is to get enough rest each night so that you can attack each day (and proper nutrition is just as important, too). I hope you’re getting enough sleep and eating balanced meals. Not all carbs are bad!

Also, before I sign off, for those of you who are working out but think you’re not doing enough because I’m doing 4-5 hours of workouts a day, don’t get down on yourself at all. You all have jobs, family, homes, spouses, obligations to add on top of your workouts. I don’t have any of that. All I have to do is think about myself and nothing else. My job is to workout all day every day. If you can manage to get a 45-minute treadmill walk into your schedule at least twice a week, than good on you! Keep that up! And don’t limit yourself to the workouts…like I said, get sleep, drink water, give up the artificial stuff, and make sure your meals are balanced. For example, if you’re going to have sushi, go ahead and have the rice AND the seaweed, but skip the fried special rolls and the special sauces.

Love and thanks to all! Have a great Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment