Saturday, March 21, 2009

Introductory and First Day at Fitness Camp (Wednesday, March 4th)

Well, it seems like a million things have happened in the last 48 hours!

I was meant to arrive in L.A. on Monday afternoon, but due to the snowstorm on the East Coast and in the South, my flight was cancelled and I didn't fly out until Tuesday. Then on Tuesday, my first flight left an hour late, 'causing me (and everyone else on the plane) to miss my connection, so instead of arriving at noon on Tuesday I didn't get there 'til 3:30. So, a whole day lost, basically -- not good considering that each day costs about $530!! I went directly from the airport to the apartment, which wasn't all that far, really, with my 4 pieces of luggage (and Mom is sending two more pieces of luggage next week -- cheaper to ship them than carry them on the plane). The Camp Coordinator, Albert, was already waiting for me. What a nice guy! He helped me take my luggage to the apartment. He also gave me a tour of the complex. It's huge. (http://www.marinaterraceapartments.com/unit_floorplan_details.html?floorplan_id=12516) The apartment is very nice, too. I've included the link to the floor plan of the apartment. I don't have a nice view....just the lovely alley (really, it IS a lovely alley) and I can see across into my neighbors' living room if we both have our shades open. I had to change into workout clothes, but before driving me to the Gym, Albert drove me around the vicinity. Marina Del Rey is very pretty, and I can walk to the marina and even to Venice Beach from the apartment . I do plan on checking that out in a couple of weeks. At the facility, I met most of the trainers, saw the equipment (which all looks new; there is a lot of equipment!), and was weighed and measured (no, I'm not telling you anything). I was also given my schedule for the first day. I believe that an individual schedule is given to each of us every day. I’m going to keep them as a record to prove I did all this hard work! Then Nicola drove me back to the apartment where I unpacked most of my stuff and had one of the prepared meals. Can I just tell you that chopped apples with cottage cheese flavored with cinnamon is delicious?! I didn't expect to like it, but I took a bite and wanted more. My meals for Wednesday and Thursday were delivered in the evening by the chef, Robert (cutie pie, by the way). So far, I am impressed with the meals. Everything has been really yummy and filling. I get 4 meals a day plus one chocolate shake (it tastes like liquid fudge -- called EAS Myoplex Lite. I can't believe it has only 1 g of sugar in it.

So, Day One finally begins....I booked all this in October and made the deposit in November, so I have been DYING to get started. I wasn't nervous at all about it until I was on the plane yesterday. It's a bit scary to know that I'm going to work out 5-6 hours a day almost every day for 12 weeks. Considering that I haven't done any worthwhile exercise in nearly 4 years, it was a shock to my body, for sure. Anyway, most of you know I am NOT an early bird, but I was asleep by 11pm and up at 6am to have my first scheduled meal. I went to the facility for 8am for my first appointment…to have my BMI (i.e., fat content) and oxygen intake measured. I went into my first of 4 1-hour workouts after that and then had my second meal. Following that I had posture analysis. Very interesting stuff. Amber, the posture analyst, immediately noticed, even before I mentioned it, that my legs weren’t quite even (thanks to my knee surgery in 2000). She also had me do some posture exercises, and let me tell you…one of them was HARDER than any other difficult exercise that I did today. I had a break, then the second workout – cardio! As expected my initial target heart rate was reached within a few SECONDS (Thanks for the heart rate monitor, John – it works perfectly!). I had another break, then two consecutive 1-hour workouts. Whew!!!! I thought I was gonna die! However, the trainer kept everything within my skill level (i.e., BEGINNER) and compensated if I had too much difficulty with anything. I promised that I would not whine or complain. I said a few, “Good Lord!”s but I kept at it. All the trainers were enthusiastic and caring. At the end of the day, it was Nicola’s birthday so most of us were joking around in the lobby area. They all seem to be lots of fun and Albert arranges social events that incorporate training. This Saturday is the Fight Night for extreme fighting (I think? I’m just doing it so that I can get to know the other clients) and next Saturday is PAINTBALL. I’m looking forward to that.

The apartment is very nice, as I said. It’s fully furnished, has maid service once a week, has a deliciously comfortable bed, cable with HBO and FREE LONG DISTANCE! The complex also has a very nice gym which I’m welcome to use if I want (gimme a couple of weeks, will ya?) and a swimming pool and Jacuzzi (but the weather is crap right now so won’t be in there for a couple of weeks). I don’t have to buy any food or even laundry supplies, but if there is anything I need outside of that there are stores within the same block. I don’t need a car while I’m here. Pretty much everything I need is right here!

So, after the first 48 hours I am happy and impressed. The first full day was as I expected it to be – although perhaps I didn’t expect to workout QUITE as hard as I did. I am going to feel it tomorrow, that’s for sure. I have to have my last meal of the day in a few minutes, and then I’m going to sit in a tub full of hot water – wish it was a Jacuzzi! I’m gonna suck down some Advil PM and get to bed early.

On the schedule tomorrow is Boot Camp at the beach (you can see what that looks like at http://www.liveinfitnesscamp.com)/, swimming, volleyball drills, a nutrition class, and a Cardio Movie…in which we do cardio workouts and watch a movie on the big screen in the gym. That sounds like fun. If I survive Day Two I’ll post another note!

Thanks to all of you who have expressed support. It really does make me smile and feel good to know that so many friends and family care. I love and miss you all….I mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment