Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day Seven – Hello, Wall, Pleased to Meetchu (Not)

This is what Days One through Six have been. I have not missed any workouts and I have eaten the meals as assigned. I’ve not cheated one bit, and I’ve had loads of water and the occasional decaffeinated tea (can I say that Celestial Seasons Blueberry is my current favorite?).
    Day One (Wednesday, March 4th)
  • Oxygen and Body Fat Measurement
  • Group Circuit Workout (1-hour)
  • Posture Analysis (1-hour)
  • 60-Minute Cardio
  • Partner Training (1-hour)
  • Boot Camp (1-hour)
    Day Two (Thursday, March 5th)
  • Beach Walk to the Pier (1-hour)
  • Nutrition Meeting
  • Abs/Core workout (½ hour)
  • Swimming (1-hour; 34 lengths of the pool, 30 on a kickboard, 4 freestyle, no exercise fins)
  • Meeting with Counselor
  • Volleyball drills (1 ½ hours)
  • Posture exercises (1 hour)
  • Cardio workout (1 ½ hours)
    Day Three (Friday, March 6th)
  • Yoga (3/4 hour)
  • Boxing (3/4 hour)
  • 60-minute Cardio
  • Massage
  • Motivational speech
  • 1-on-1 training session (1-hour)
    Day Four (Saturday, March 6th)
  • Boot Camp at the Beach (1 ½ hours)
  • Group Circuit at the gym (2 hours)
    Day Five (Sunday, March 7th)
  • Group Circuit at the gym (2 hours)
    Day 6 (Monday, March 9th)
  • Yoga (3/4 hour)
  • Bike Ride (13-miles, 1 ½ hours)
  • Gym Boot Camp (1 hour)
  • 1-on-1 training session (1 hour)
Day 7 (Tuesday, March 10th (Happy Birthday to my sister, Kitti)) WEIGH-IN

But first, there was another beach walk. After feeling so great yesterday, I was excited about today – the beach walk, the abs/core work, everything. Apparently my body was NOT so excited and decided that it had had enough. When we arrived at the beach, I walked down to the sand. The tide was higher than last Wednesday so the sand was soft by the water and thus harder to walk; on top of that, my legs just STOPPED working. It was if I was lifting a sack of mud with every step I took. I was immediately fatigued. I went about 2/3rd of the way, I guess, and then headed back. Nicola walked with me a bit and I talked about how I was suddenly feeling so tired (more than usual) and that it feels as if there’s no down time (and I think that schedule above proves that!). My schedule for this day had me away from home from 8am to 7pm (keep in mind that 1 hour was for lunch and 2 hours were for nutrition and massage). Nicola said (I can’t remember her exact words) that it’s not uncommon for someone like me to get fatigued after such a busy workout schedule and perhaps my body just needed a little more rest. So she let me skip the final workout of the day, which would have been a 90-minute Gym Boot Camp ending at 7pm. I was grateful for that, but was also hopeful that my weigh-in would be great and perhaps I would feel energized from that. Inwardly, I could not get over how physically tired I was. We get back to the gym and I get weighed and measured. I’m not going to say how many pounds I lost because it was disappointing to me (but not unreasonable…I just had high expectations; in reality it was a reasonable loss). The measurements revealed more though…I lost 11 ½ inches altogether, mostly between my shoulders and butt. So, I’m very pleased with that. I can’t SEE it, of course, but what it means is that I’ve lost 11 inches of fat but gained more muscle. Normally that would be a good thing, but I already have enough weight from muscle. So…tomorrow, Wednesday, I’m going to get “dunked” again so that my BMI (body mass index – or to put it simply, the percentage of weight that is from fat vs muscle) can be measured. I have no doubt that my muscle weight will have increased and my fat weight will have decreased. 11 ½ inches in 6 days is actually pretty amazing, but I just couldn’t get excited about it – I can’t help but think that my fatigue today had a lot to do with that.

Next on the schedule was an Abs/Core workout with Schuyler. It was difficult as expected, but despite my fatigue, I managed; as I mentioned in yesterday’s note, I want to make getting rid of my stomach fat my top priority. This workout was followed by swimming! Well, guess what…the outside temperature was pretty chilly! But the water temperature was around 80 degrees and when you’re kicking non-stop for 60-minutes, you forget about the chill. For this swim I did use a pair of the exercise flippers (these are very short fins, nothing like SCUBA or snorkeling fins) mainly because I wanted to do more lengths of the pool – and I did. I did 50 in total! All but 6 lengths I used the kickboard, and for the other 6 I did freestyle. I find that my heart rate goes up faster when I do freestyle, so I do the freestyle for cardio and the kickboard for fat-burn zone. I also find that using the kickboard actually forces you to tighten your abdominals. I felt good about the 50 lengths, but I was still feeling fatigued. Do you know what I mean? I was just completely zapped of every ounce of energy. We head back to the office for lunch, and then a workout with Amber (the Queen of Abs/Core). This was a good workout using isometric exercises, stretching straps, and big foam blocks. Other than using the treadmills to warm up and warm down, we didn’t need machines or weights to get a killer workout. We actually concentrated on our butt and legs – I swear my butt will probably still be big but it better be damn tight by the time my 12 weeks are finished!

At this point I’m still devoid of all energy, so I decided that I was going to skip the Gym Boot Camp and get home so that I can rest. I had a nutrition meeting with Karen; besides being educational these sessions are very entertaining! This was followed by my massage with Nina (we get two massages a week, so I’m guessing mine are on Tuesdays and Fridays). This was a welcome break and just what I needed to help me from stressing out about skipping a workout (because I actually HATED to skip it – I felt like a loser for doing that!). After the massage I let Marco know that I was given permission to skip his workout. He seemed really sad about that so I felt really bad for skipping! But I knew that I just had to give my body a rest so that I could be rarin’ to go for Wednesday. After getting my schedule I headed home and it turns out that Tuesdays are also the day that Grace, the Head Housekeeper, serviced my apartment. What a nice treat! Well, it’s included in the whole fee for the Camp, but for me, it’s a real treat as I’ve never ever had housekeeping done for me before. I love it and I’m pretty sure I’m going to be spoiled by it. Tomorrow if I’m not too tired I’ll tell you what Felleng (from South Africa) told me about housekeeping and childcare in South Africa; very interesting to me!

Tonight I put away some laundry and rested on the sofa, but I also prepared for tomorrow…I have biking again (yaaaay, I can use my shiny new bike!) and also the BMI test, so I need biking clothes, workout clothes, and my swimsuit again…more than the usual stuff to pack. I heading to bed now. I’ve fallen asleep on the sofa three nights in a row so I want to be extra certain that I’ll get a good night’s rest because I want to start Week Two with renewed energy and motivation. Tomorrow’s schedule is already prepared, but I hope that after the BMI test it will be revealed that I need to do more fat-burning exercises. My schedule for tomorrow is a bike ride, a group circuit, a group nutrition session, a 1-on-1 session with Marco, 60-minute cardio, and Gym Boot Camp before I have my BMI.

So, despite my tempered-down demeanor today, I’m happy with the 11 ½ lost inches. This means that there’s 11 ½ less inches to love, but a stronger heart to love you back. Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment