Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day Twelve – That Must Have Just Been a Bad Dream

    Today’s Workout – only 1 ½ hours, but this is what we all did:
  • 30 reps on lateral pulldown machine
  • 30 one-armed tricep extensions with free weight
  • 30 reps on chest press machine
  • 30 bicep curls with free weights
  • 50 double crunches on mat
  • 3-minute cardio
  • 30 regular squats
  • 30 shoulder press with free weights
  • 30 back rows with free weights
  • 30 reps on tricep extensions
  • 30 reps on chest fly machine
  • 50 Russian twists on mat
  • 3-minute cardio
  • 30 reps on hamstring curl machine
  • 30 hammer curls with free weights
  • 30 reps on shoulder press machine
  • 30 reps on rear delt fly machine
  • 30 pushups on mat
  • 25 scissor kicks on mat
  • 25 flutter kicks on mat
  • 3-minute cardio
  • 30 duck squats
  • 30 reps on bicep machine
  • 15 side arm raises with free weights
  • 15 front arm raises with free weights
  • 30 reps on back row machine
  • 30 dips (i.e. the dips from hell!)
  • 25 crunches on ball
  • 25 EACH left and right oblique crunches on ball
  • 3-minute cardio
  • 50 calf-raises on leg press machine (ooooowwwww)
  • Cool down cardio for 5-minutes

So, this morning I woke up before 7am – without the alarm. That NEVER happens! I had had a bad dream where I panicked when I had chest pains, my heart rate was too high, and there was no one around to catch me if I fell. Thank goodness that bad dream was over ‘cause I was looking forward to a short but vigorous workout day. I was also looking forward to unpacking my luggage since I’ve been saying I needed to unpack my luggage since Thursday. I had a productive and pleasant morning. It’s always pleasant and productive to read your messages and to check on how you’re all doing! I headed to the gym, wondering what Arleigh would have in store for us, as I had not worked out with her yet. We did the usual cardio warmup, and then Arleigh gave us the list above to work on our own, much like I did on Day Nine….except this time there were around 15 of us doing the same circuit. You’d think we’d all be fighting for the machines, free weights, and cardio equipment, but it actually went well, and before I knew it, it was 12pm and we were all finished. Courtney and I sort of stayed close together in the list, and I was happy to explain some of the exercises to her – hmmmm, maybe that’s my next calling, eh? Are there enough personal trainers in the world? Gareth, what do you think?

Anyway, good thing 12 pm arrived so quickly, ‘cause I was hungry for whatever delight Robert had prepared for today. A very delicious southwest quesadilla with fresh salsa. Yum! It was a lovely day again, and not tooooo cool to be on the bike. I headed round the corner to the Sports Chalet, a sporting goods store, where I purchased my own training boxing gloves, yoga strap (for stretching), bike gloves (since I’m going to be the next Lance Armstrong), and one of those giant plastic beach balls on which you can exercise…and I managed to get all of that in my backpack. I still have to pump up the beach ball. I know I know, I know that’s not what it’s called, but that’s what I’M going to call it! I couldn’t do a proper pushup to save my life right now (you ought to see Ryall Graber’s pushups!), but I can do them if I use the beach ball under my hips. Plus Marco showed Courtney and me some stretching exercises that we could do on our own on a beach ball (caution: do not try this on a REAL beach ball, trust me). AND I want to practice some of the exercises that we do so that when I do them, I’m getting the most benefit out of them (‘cause no matter how many crunches you do, if y’ain’t doin’ it right, it ain’t gonna stick!). Thus this equipment will stay at the apartment. Except for the boxing gloves. They do provide gloves for us, but since many of us are using them and our hands get sweaty in them, they’re not the most pleasant-smelling items there. So, if I’m going to be smelling anyone’s sweaty gloves, it’s going to be my sweat and no one else’s. Gosh…brings me back to twenty years ago when I was doing Tae Kwon Do and I had the gloves, shin guards, mouth guard, and head gear. I miss those days. I would love to throw a raging round kick at a kick bag right now (even as sore as I am)!

Back at home to relax, straighten up the apartment, and do laundry, my favorite household chore. Seriously! I love doing laundry! I HATE DOING DISHES! No man better propose to me unless he has a dishwasher for me. A garbage disposal, large capacity washer & dryer, and automatic ice maker would be nice, too. I would take all that over an engagement ring ;-) And I actually did unpack my luggage and stored away the luggage (duffle bags mostly). What a difference it makes when you clear a corner, hmmm? Is there a parallel in life for that? There must be…one of you creative writers out there needs to tell me.

As an added bonus, Marco called on me to check that I was feeling OK and that I had a good workout. I soooo appreciated that. I failed to mention, too, that as expected, several of the other campers asked how I was doing, and Jeni complimented me on my technique. Well, she sets a good example! And I want to set a good example for Courtney or anyone else that joins the camp after me.

Not much more to report! I spent more time on Facebook seeing how a lot of you were doing. Admittedly I’m totally self-centered (in a good way) at the moment, but I do care how you’re all doing. OH, I was happy to receive some “joy reports” today. Playing tennis, dinner with friends, reconnecting with relatives, attending a wedding, and cleaning house were mentioned. The latter was Jeane. If that gives her joy than I should have hired her to clean my apartment in Bermuda all those years that I was there! I hate housework in general, except for the laundry, of course, cleaning bathrooms, and ironing. Yes, I like to iron. I like to iron so much that I will iron my paper money so that it is crisp and straight. And my family thinks I’m crazy for it. But Mom indulged me MANY years ago with an ironing board cover that has a picture of a naked man on it with a sheet barely covering any important parts that shouldn’t get burned. I still have that ironing board cover! It is safely kept in storage back in Virginia. My joy today was reading more messages, both public and private, from you, especially those of you who say that I have inspired you to exercise more or eat fewer cookies or something like that. Thanks soooo much!

On the plate for tomorrow…stretching, bike ride (gawd, I hope it is NOT to the stinky beach!), 1-hour cardio, and partner training (i.e., 2 campers with one trainer). I hope that you’re all well-rested and ready for a great week. Spring is almost here!! Yaaaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment