Monday, March 30, 2009

Day Twenty-Seven – No Distractions, Please! (Mon., Mar 30th)

    Today’s workouts:
  • Bike Ride (15 miles, 2 hrs, personal best)
  • 1-hr Cardio
  • Massage!
  • 1-on-1 session (1hr)
  • Gym Boot Camp (1hr)
So, I’ve had a not-so-perky-as-usual attitude the last three days, initiated by the climb up the Dune of Hell on Friday morning. Throughout the weekend, though, I lost my focus. I let myself be distracted by unnecessary things and while I completed all of my required workouts, my heart wasn’t in them and I only felt tired instead of good and tired after each one. Even this morning, during the bike ride, which I normally love, I couldn’t shake whatever the distraction was. I even made it to the end of the trail. Hadn’t done that before. And instead of being excited and satisfied as I should have, I stopped, looked at it, adjusted my bike seat, and turned around. What an idiot. I should have been really proud. I AM proud NOW but at the time it just rolled off my back. On the return trip, though, I kept thinking about why I was annoyed or perturbed or sad or distracted or whatever. And I figured it out. I let things over which I have no control distract me from my goal and make me lose focus. Y’know, it feels GREAT to be absolutely focused on a goal. I really can’t remember the last time I focused on a goal and actually achieved it. Maybe finishing university? That was a very difficult time for me and due to distractions at THAT time, I didn’t do so well in one of my final classes and fell .003 short of achieving cum laude. Right now, though, I have only one goal, and that is to lose pounds and inches and change my lifestyle so that I will do something healthy every day for the rest of my life – and hopefully it will be a much longer life now than previously expected. So, by the time I was back in the gym, my attitude had improved and I was pretty sure Desdemona had gone into hiding.

We had fish & chips for our hot lunch. They weren’t like the best fish & chips that I’ve ever had in Surrey, England nearly two years ago, but they were pretty good (not fried, of course, but panko-breaded and nicely seasoned). I can’t say often enough how good the meals are. I had a turkey enchilada this weekend that was to die for. I think it has surpassed the turkey lasagna as my favorite meal so far. Gimme more o’dat! Claire spoke to us during our lunch about inspiration. This was of particular interest to me because I’ve had so many notes from lots of you saying that I’ve inspired you (which just makes my heart explode with joy). I had to think about what inspires me. I couldn’t think of a LOT of inspirations over the years, but I did think of the ones that really stuck with me and upon which I acted. Most recently, the bodybuilders at Seaview Gym have inspired me with their dedication and discipline. At Camp Technique I’m inspired by the campers who’ve been here several weeks because I want to get as strong as they are. A few years ago in Bermuda, I was inspired by a colleague who refused to engage in gossip. I respected her so much for that and it made me want to endeavor to not gossip either (I don’t always succeed!). Over the long-term, I have been inspired by the work ethic that both of my parents have exhibited my entire life. Had I not learned from their example, then I would not have been successful as a tax CPA and later an entrepreneur, and now in my current “job” of working out all day every day. There are other inspirations over the years, too, but these are the ones that are most present in my mind. I hope you’ve had inspirations over the years which have helped you to do good in the world.

Following an hour of cardio and the first of my twice-a-week massages, I had a 1-on-1 session with Marco. We worked on chest and arms, and honey, they feel like jello right now! I saw that Marco increased the weight on some of the exercises. I took Miss Bermuda’s (bka Sue Rebello) advice and didn’t think about the weight and JUST DID IT. It worked. And when I was sooo tired and doing these back row/squat things, I pushed through it. I’m yelling or grunting a lot more, too. I swear it helps! Following this we had a gym boot camp with Marco and he had us working on chest and arms again. I lost count of all the chest presses, pushups, chest flies, back row/squats, and everything else that I did in those two hours. I did the freaking planks though, on the Bosu ball. When I get down to the ground to do them, I have to psych myself up for it ‘cause I have to hold it for 30 seconds and make sure my butt isn’t up in the air. Those suckers hurt but I did ‘em.

Thus, thankfully, I’m back to my usual happy self and am looking forward to each day ahead. Tuesday means beach walk to the pier, swimming, and maybe measurements? Weigh-in wasn’t on the schedule when it was printed but I think I can ask for it. It doesn’t look like I’ve lost many inches in the last week, so maybe this time the number of pounds lost will increase. We shall see!

As always, I hope your week has started off nicely and you have productive plans ahead. Ciao for now!

1 comment: