Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day Fifty-Six (Tue Apr 28th) – A Big Fat Goose Egg

    Tuesday’s Workouts:
  • Beach Walk/Run (1 ¾ hrs, 2.5 miles)
  • Measurements!
  • 3-on-1 Training (1 hr)
  • Spinning (1 hr)
  • 1-on-1 Training (1 hr)
  • Grocery Store trip with Nutritionist (1 ½ hrs)
  • Gym Boot Camp (3/4 hr)
  • Acupuncturist
You know how when you first awaken in the morning and you yawn and stretch while still lying in bed? Well, I did that around 6:30am and I thought all of my calf muscles were going to rip in several places. Yikes!!!! This was obviously a result of climbing the Santa Monica Stairs yesterday. Ouch ouch ouch. I thought the two-hour bike rides made me walk funny, like Fred Sanford, but this was definitely funnier. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to do the beach walk first thing this morning.

However, I needn’t have worried. There was a low tide and it was cool so the beach walk went quickly. I even managed to jog for 5 whole minutes without stopping…TWICE. Woohoo! I must say that “Drumbone” by Blue Man Group was a perfect rhythm for me; I should have repeated that over and over on my iPod Nano ;-) I finished the beach walk with plenty of time to spare so we could all head back to the gym where it was measurement day. Uh oh…

I was not expecting good numbers because I wasn’t able to work out as hard as I usually do, thanks to my shoulder problems. And last week Aunt Flo was visiting which I knew would also not help with the weight loss or inches measurement. BUT, I didn’t expect a BIG FAT GOOSE EGG ;-( Gee whiz, I didn’t lose a single pound, and I only lost 1 inch. So, I’m still at 29 lbs and now at over 51 inches after eight weeks. When I first looked into signing up for the camp, I was going to do only 8 weeks, so this would have been my last measurement had I stuck with that plan. Thank goodness I’m doing 12 weeks ‘cause I still have a lot of losing (inches and pounds) to do. OK OK, I know I know, I shouldn’t be worrying about the pounds. I’m tired of hearing that! I need the pounds to come off so that I can run faster and pedal faster and climb the dunes and the stairs faster. I’m still carrying a lot of weight, y’know….when I started all this I weighed a lot more than most of you think. I’m thrilled with the inches I’ve lost and I think I’m almost down three dress sizes. I’m also very happy with my increased fitness level…but it’s more difficult to improve on that while I’m carrying so much weight!!! I spoke with Karen the nutritionist and Eric the owner and asked for my daily calories to be reduced. While they were hesitant to do that, they agreed that we could try it for a week and see how I was feeling each day – i.e., will I get too drained or feel hungry or dizzy? I rarely feel hungry anyway…oftentimes I don’t want to eat when we’re scheduled to eat. So I just received my meal delivery for Thursday and I’m down to 20g protein and 20g carbs for each meal (4 meals a day, + a 120-calorie protein shake). Thus this time next week if I’m complaining that I’m hungry then you can all yell at me and I will accept it.

Alright, after all this I had 3-on-1 training with Schuyler and then a spin class with him. I feel a little guilty that anyone doing workouts with me may not get enough upper body work ‘cause I was still limited to what I can do, but we worked on abs and core a lot and I can never get enough of that! I tried to stand on the bike pedals, too, when spinning, but I haven’t quite mastered that skill…it’s tough to do when you’re going fast! I also haven’t figured out how not to put weight on my shoulders. I need a private lesson – hint hint!! You know who you are, you naked hiker, you!

Next up was a 1-on-1 session with Eric. Eric is helping me to master balancing on the yoga ball, and he increased the difficulty this time. He concentrated on hips and abs/core work. I had already done a gazillion squats by this time so we mixed it up and did hop-overs on the Bosu ball with squats on each side (so one foot was up on the bosu and one was on the ground and I had to do a deep squat – HELLO, my quads are on fire!). This position however, caused my left arm to go totally numb! Yikes! I was holding my arms slightly in front of me to increase difficulty, but holding my left arm in a 90-degree position apparently pinched the nerve that has been causing me grief. Alright, let me explain…you know how when you sit on your foot or you lie on your arm or rest your head on your hand with a bent wrist and it goes to sleep? And then it tingles in a painful way with pins & needles when the feelings are coming back? OK, multiply that pain times 15 and apply it to your entire left arm, ‘cause that’s what I’ve been feeling. Ouch! I was going to the acupuncturist later so I was going to address that for sure. The pain in my back, where the knot was, had significantly diminished thanks to the chiropractor, but the numbness was still coming and going. After I violently shook my arm to get the life back into it, we continued on. One of the final exercises was to balance on the yoga ball. I’ve pretty much mastered kneeling on the ball on all fours and also lifting one hand. This time Eric wanted me to only kneel, so my upper body was up instead of bent over. This took a bit of work, but I did it. Hee hee!! Next time I’m going to have him take a picture. I really am excited about accomplishing this task. We have just under four weeks to master the one hand/one knee trick and I am going to do it, baby.

Next up was my first educational grocery store trip. Karen took Maxime and me to the grocery store on the corner. It’s just a typical, average supermarket -- not like Whole Foods where you can expect that most everything sold there is organic and healthy. We went through several of the aisles…skipping the booze, of course (waaaah…there was a 2007 Malbec that I wanted to try!). Now…I’ve always looked at labels because I watch for sugar content. But I had not been paying attention to ingredients. This was such a helpful and educational excursion. It WILL mean that I will have to give myself extra time whenever I’m grocery-shopping ‘cause I’ll be picking up every single can and package to see what’s in the item I’m considering. How disappointed was I to see that my favorite peanut butter, Extra Crunchy Jif, was loaded with sugar, and worse yet, hydrogenated oil. Jif has come out with healthy peanut butter however it’s not crunchy! I only like crunchy peanut butter and I only like Jif. Looks like I’m going to have to wait awhile before I can have my beloved pineapple jelly and crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat toast sandwich ;-) And guess what…I’m going to stick with Land O’Lakes butter. The Smart Balance stuff, which is an acceptable alternative, just doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve already switched to sea salt; no more of that iodized stuff for me.

Next up I had a shortened gym boot camp because I had a late appointment with the acupuncturist. Again I worked on legs and did some jogging on the treadmill. Despite my very tired calf muscles, I was pleased that I could run longer than usual. At the acupuncturist’s office, Dr. Chen repeated the procedures as before, with a few more hot glass cups, so I have some new “hickeys” on my back. Too bad I didn’t get them the traditional, ‘fun’ way, although it would be kind of weird to get hickeys on my BACK in THAT way, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment